This week I managed to finish my 1:100 model and started finalising my drawings. The drawings still have a long way to go until it is resolved, so in the mean time I have started model making my 1:50 section model.
Below are images of my 1:100 model with the modification of my roof structure. I took on my tutor's advice to keep the roof structure uniform so that the form of the house keeps a strong contrast with the complex organisation of the interiors.
As a consequence of the one roof plane I have made a storage room on top of the family's bedrooms. This is to utilise the level above the bedrooms.
This week I concentrated on my 1:100 model rather than finalising my drawings. Since my design is quite complex in its spatial organisation, I feel that by doing this I can see and understand with more clarity what I have to do to finalise my drawings. Below are the photos of the model, didn't quite finish it for studio this week only managed to do the lower two levels of the house and the above floor plates.
After a discussion with my tutor below are some points which asked me to consider:
Consider making the roof structure just one plane so as to give the illusion of the double house having a very simplistic form, but in reality contains a very complicated interior.
The jump from the gallery to the art collector's room is quite different from the other floor planes in the double house's program. Not so much a concern but in isolation from the others this is an anomaly. However, I do not want to disrupt the ceiling height of my sculpture gallery as I cannot provide a solid reason as to why my gallery has two different volume definitions, except for the fact that I want to keep the transition between floors in the houses consistent and uniform. I certainly don't want to have another Siza debacle, having an architecture feature which I cannot explain.
For next week's the agenda I am to produce the following:
Finalised set of plans- both floors and roof plans
Below are photographs from the site visit, categorised in respect to the conditions that I wanted to uncover.
-View at the back of the site
Below are images of my concept planning for the project, allocating the footprint and spaces within the two houses.
Derived a perspectival and triangulated geometry for the site, then gave priority to the location of the garden.
Figuring out the circulation between the gardens and its levels.
The four rows above were used to decipher my levels and the footprint of those levels compared to the site. I have also worked out the spatial organisation of each house as shown in the fourth row. The second row shows the rooves and their footprint.